Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The details


I've been wanting to record Nathan's birth story for journaling sake and Scott took the girls on some errands and Nathan is sleeping, so I have a few minutes! So here come all the little details if you all want to skip ahead.

Last tuesday I went to my doctor's apointment to see how everything was going. I was dilated to a three and 80% effaced so we were happy that things were moving along. Wednesday evening I started to have contractions and not feel very good. Bella woke up in the middle of the night and it woke me up so I went in to see what was wrong. After that I couldn't fall back asleep because I really started having contractions close together. They got painful really fast and so I woke up Scott and we were trying to figure out what to do. It was about 3:45 and we didn't want to bother anyone in the night to help with the girls. I thought I could wait it out a bit, but the contractions were coming so fast and were really strong. My labor with the twins was so quick so I thought that this labor would go really fast and I wanted to make sure we got to the hospital in time for an epidural. We finally called our wonderful neighbors across the street, Lisa and Chris, and they had us bring Maddie and Bella over with their little blow up mattresses. The girls were a little confused and not too happy to be woken up in the night and taken somewhere else, but I think they eventually went back to sleep. Thank you so much Chris and Lisa for letting us ruin your nights' sleep! We are so grateful to have you so close.

We got to the hospital around 4:45 and I was dilated to a five. They came and gave me my epidural within an hour. I was relieved! I'm definitely not tough when it comes to pain. My water broke about 7:30 and I thought things would go pretty quick. After that though we just had to wait a while. Finally he was ready and I only had to push a few minutes and he was here. We were shocked that he was such a big boy! I figure that last time I had 12 pounds of baby so my body was like, "Come on, this is lightweight!" Good thing I didnt' go until today (my due date) or he would have been 12 pounds! Anyway, the doctor laid him right on me and it was a wonderful experience. With Maddie and Bella I barely even got to look at Bella before I was focused on pushing again and getting Maddie here. With the girls we were in the OR and it was a totally different experience with a lot more people around. I was suprised at how low key this delivery was. It was just Scott and I and a nurse and the doctor. Right after he was born I remember everyone saying how cute he was with such big cheeks and rolls already! When I finally held him my first thought was how much he looked like his dad!

After we all recovered most the day we decided to get Maddie and Bella. My wonderful friend from Kirksville, Jessica, drove up from Cuyahoga Falls to pick up the girls from Lisa's that morning. She had a field trip for her daughter that day and she still loaded up her kids and came and got them for us. She took them to my other sweet friend Melissa's house in Massilon who watched them all day long. Melissa has a daughter the girls' age so they loved playing with her all day. It was SO nice not to worry about them at all. We knew they were happy and well taken care of. We appreciate good friends closeby- especially being away from our families. Friends become like family. Thank you Jessica and Melissa for taking good care of all of us. We appreciate it so much. Scott brought the girls to the hospital and they were excited to see Mom and their little brother. They each held him for about 2 seconds and then they were ready for us all to go home. They were a little sad when they realized that mom didn't get to come home with them quite yet.

The next morning Mike and Chantele drove from South Bend and came with Scott and the girls up to the hospital. It was so great to have them here! They took the girls on an outing that afternoon and were a much needed distraction for them. I asked if I could go home that day instead of the following day because I like being home much better than at the hospital. I knew it would mean a little more work, but we had help, and the girls were happier to have mom home. Saturday we just spent recovering and getting used to life with three. Maddie and Bella got to go to their friend Ashlyn's princess birthday party and were thrilled to come home with all sorts of princess jewelry, crowns, wands etc. It was good timing for them to have something fun like that. Mike and Chantele thanks so much for coming. We loved seeing you and really appreciated all your help. We sent them grocery shopping, on our errands, and they helped so much with the girls. We love you guys!

The last few days have been good. Scott has been home and I have been so grateful for that. He has been a hero dad- doing laundry, cleaning, cooking, playing tons with the girls, holding and cuddling Nathan constantly. I wouldn't have survived without him! I'm so sad he has to go back to real life tomorrow! I'm remembering all the fun things that come with giving birth and nursing as far as recovering and pain go, but I know it will all pass soon. Maddie and Bella have been troopers- a little out of sorts and more defiant- but that is to be expected. Overall they've done wonderful and are going to be good sisters. Nathan is a little sweetie and we think he is the cutest thing. I took him to the doctor today and he is already 9 lbs 9 oz so he has passed his birthweight and is doing great. The doctor commented that I don't look that tired and I have to admit that having one newborn to take care of is so much easier for me than two! (Though of course I wouldn't trade having twins for the world! It is wonderful, especially right now because they are really entertaining each other and playing together.) But I'm getting so much more rest! It helps that he is such a happy little guy and he is eating and sleeping really well too. It is so fun to have a little boy and I lOVE watching Scott with him. He is just thrilled for this little buddy. I know the next few weeks and months won't be the easiest but it is a good challenge in every way. We have wonderful friends bringing meals all week and we've been spoiled with gifts and phone calls. We are grateful for all the support and are thrilled to be a family of five!
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Heidi said...

I love reading labor/delivery stories! So glad you have such wonderful friends to take the place of family in times like this. And you are right he does look like his dad!

Christine said...

He looks like Scott!!!! Love it!
Glad people were there to help you, wish I could have been!

The Church's said...

congratulations!!! I didn't even know you were due yet. He is sooo cute!! I can't believe he is so big. Abby was that at like 2 months, ha ha.

Alison Day said...

Oh, I love hearing the story! It sounds like things really went well, textbook, actually. You guys are such great parents and you ARE lucky to have such a great husband... way to go Scott for stepping up and helping out! We are so happy for you!

Congratulations!

Amanda said...

I loved hearing the whole story. I am so glad everything went well. He is beautiful and I love those cheeks!

Lisa said...

He is adorable. Congrats you guys.

Clayton said...

Congrats!! He's way cute, the girls are cute with him too.