Saturday, October 11, 2008

BIG GIRL BEDS!



We finally gave the girls' "big girl beds" and took off the front of their cribs. Once they graduate to twin size beds it really will seem like big girl beds, but for now this is a good step! Can you believe that I actually cried when we were taking off their cribs? I am pregnant so maybe that has something to do with it! :) I just can't belive that my girls aren't babies anymore. They are getting so big. Here they are showing off their room!


Maddie is doing some sort of somersault in the picture above. Maddie and Bella's room has always been one of my favorite places in our house- even in Kirksville. It is because it is filled with things that remind me of the people we love and the people who love them. It is a special little spot and I get nostalgic whenever I have a minute to stop and look around their room. Their cribs were given to us by both their grandparents at our family baby shower. One is from Scott's parents and one is from mine. We've loved them. In the picture above you can see the long picture hanging by Maddie's bed. This picture hung in my room all growing up and I think it is perfect for a little girls' room. Above the bed there is a little shelf and there is one above Bella's bed as well. Scott made these shelves for the girls' room while I was pregnant. It will always remind me of when he worked so hard at Sunroc delivering doors while we lived in Provo. He used the scraps and tools from his work and then painted these little shelves! So handy! On this shelf is a beautiful doll that my mom sewed and painted the porcelean face on for me. I'm not sure if she did it when I was a baby or how old I was, but I've always cherished this doll. Against the wall is a pink and green magnet board made by Aunt Lacey. The girls have hours and hours of fun playing magnets on it. It always reminds me of her and all her work to make it for us.


Above the bed on Bella's shelf are two pink little sheep that were given as a shower gift from my high school friend Abby Taylor. Everyone needs sheep to help them fall asleep right? They remind me of my wonderful high school and college friends who I'll always feel close to no matter how far away we spread out. On the top shelf with the baskets in the creme basket are two little dolls given to the girls for their first Christmas by Grandma Rynearson. I got a doll every year for Christmas growing up and want to do the same for Maddie and Bella. These soft dolls remind me of that first year and of Grandma Rynearson. Above the shelves on the wall is a picture of Christ holding twin girls. I first saw this picture at my friend Jessica's house. She lost twin girls, Brooke and Avery a couple of years ago. I love and admire Jessica as a friend and I look up to her for her strength. I fell in love with this picture and think it is a special thing to have for twins!


Above is the wall opposite of the girls' beds. The SISTERS letters were made by my darling and talented friend Katie in Kirksville. They will always remind me of the incredible friends I made in Kirksville and the great experience of living there. The pictures on the dresser were taken by Tobey- my wonderful friend and the girls' second mom in Kirksville. She's a talented photographer and I miss our long walks and great girl chat! The pillow was embroidered and sewn by my sister in law Sydney. It is the perfect saying, "Best Friends are we, my sister and me." I love it and know that a lot of work went into it! Sydney is one of the most perfect mothers and homemakers I know. I have wonderful family! I can't wait to see you all. The box under the pillow was a gift from my Aunt Joan. The girls talk a lot about Aunt Joan (and Grandma Sue) these days because they now understand that their middle names are after them. I love these women and am glad to have something from Aunt Joan in their room. This white dresser was a $25 antique store find by Scott and me. When I was pregnant we saved all our extra money for the "baby fund" in a little yellow sack and would go out and buy things for the twins. We loved this dresser and it is the perfect size for a changing table pad on top. This pink chair is one of the girls' favorite things! It came from Grandma Sue and Grandpa Larry's living room before they remodeled. It is our perfect story time chair. Speaking of stories the basket of books will always be a must in our world! Maddie and Bella LOVE to read. They always have. I remember a time when we would literally read stories for hours and hours everyday because that is all they wanted to do! I almost hid our books once because I was so sick of it- but I know it is a great thing. I'm sure reading a lot is one of the reasons the girls are so smart. They never want to stop reading at night. On the pink chair is a quilt that was made by Wanda Beach- the mother of my folk dance friend Alex. It was a wedding gift for Scott and me and we've loved it. I have such an appreciation for all the work that went into it. I love Wanda and especially her daughter Alex! She will be a lifelong friend as will all of MAHAK! I'm blessed with wondeful friends spread all over the place!!

Well, this post turned out pretty long but was really for my girls to someday learn about all the sentimental things in their room. I'm grateful for all of the wonderful family and friends who have influenced my life and Maddie and Bella's as well.
Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

Janelle said...

I like pink and green together. And I LOVE those "sisters" blocks on the wall. Very cute. It looks like they have a nice big room to share.

Ashley said...

I thought I recognized that pink chair :)

Heidi said...

Cute room and I loved learning about each thing in it and the meaning! Their green and pink rug is darling- where is it from? I also love the magnet board Lacey made!

Morgan said...

what a sweet post. they do have an adorable room, and that is so wonderful that they have so many homemade and sentimental things in there.

Alexandra and Benjamin said...

Oh, Katie this post made me miss you. I'm quite sure we're coming to Ohio in April so we'll get to see you! Hooray!!!! And maybe we can see you after Christmas? We'll be in SoCal! My mom will be so touched that you wrote about her quilt. I am going to call her right now and tell her. XOXO to you!

The Lambs said...

Wow, Katie! I'm so glad you wrote that down so that your girls can know forever how much they are loved and surrounded by meaningful things! I am excited to see you in SLC the day after Christmas? Are we still on? How's the "bump" coming?

The Wilkins' said...

Wow, what a cute post and a darling room! And thanks for including me :) I still feel a little sheepish since it only took me over a year to get those made! Oh, and Libbs just moved into her big girl bed too - it's sad but exciting!

niki said...

what fun stories to go with such cute pieces! I just love their room! Congrats on your pregnancy! How fun for your girls to be big sisters!

The Lunts said...

Lets just hope they dont take after their uncle and sleep walk! That was a cute post!

Christine said...

Darling room!! You want to come decorate my house!!:)

Scott and Katie said...

Heid- the rug is from PB Kids. Wish we could afford lots of stuff from there! :)

lindsay Roscoe said...

There is nothing better then a home filled with things that remind of us those who love us nad we love. I have a few rooms in my home like that. I also love the picture with Jesus and the twins, our picture hangs above the twins dresser in their room. It will always be a special tresure to me.

Summer said...

How adorable is that room?!!! Oh so cute! I love all the stories about all the sweet sentimental things in their room! What wonderful people you have in your life!

P.S. Your yard looks great! I LOVE the orange mums and the punkins on your front porch! Very festive!