Thursday, September 18, 2008

Lately

Well, I haven't been a blogger lately. I've just been out of the mode, but it is time for a little update. I still don't have a camera battery so I haven't really been taking pictures lately. I've used my old ones for a couple, but they just don't turn out that great.
So what have we been doing lately? Scott started his rotations and this month he is at South Pointe Hospital a few mintues away from us. He is on his Internal Medicine rotation. He has enjoyed it and is learning a lot! He is figuring out the way everything works at the hospital and learning new things daily. It has been a good experience so far and the hours haven't been bad. He is a hard worker and is doing well.

The girls and I have settled back into our routine of life with Dad gone during the day. We sure enjoyed his time off! We've been going on lots of little outings, enjoying the fall weather and meeting some new friends around here. There really are a lot of great people in our ward and I'm excited to get to know them all more. I am grateful that there is so much going on. Our Relief Society has book club, cooking club, quilting club, a card group- and there are always people meeting at parks or getting together. People have been really nice and welcoming and I'm so grateful.

Our neighbors across the street are wonderful. He is a Urology resident and they've been here a few years. They have four little kids and it is nice to go across the street and chat and have someone so close to borrow an egg or whatever from! They've already watched the girls for us while we went to a dinner for Scott's hospital and we feel so lucky to have them right there! Ryan and Heather Smith are also close by and they moved here from Kirksville. Ryan works with Scott and they have a darling little girl, Emmy, who my girls love to play with. There is also a cute girl in our ward who does hair and so I just got my hair done by her. I'm so glad to have found someone good! Quite a few other girls have invited us for playgroups or going to the park etc., and I feel like I'm making some friends! We're going to like it here! It always takes a while to adjust after moving, and it still will take time, but it is a good place. I'm also so lucky to have Jessica and Melissa (two close friends from Kirksville) only a half hour and hour away. We've met up at Jessica's in the middle a few times and it is always refreshing and nice to be with "comfortable" friends who I love! It is amazing how much you learn to rely on friends when you are far away from family. There is nothing like family and so it is hard when you are gone and can't spend time with them. Friends are what get me through all the time away- and will continue to get me through the many years ahead! We are really just beginning!

Speaking of friends- we had a baby shower for Melissa's new baby at Jessica's on Monday. It was wonderful! Kasey, Tana, and Margi drove all the way from Detroit to spend the day with us and Tisa made the trek all by herself from Dayton! We surprised Melissa and spent the day eating yummy food, chatting, and letting the kids play. There were 7 girls and 10 kids all day long at Jessica's. What a blast! It was so nice of all those girls to make the 3-4 hour drive and come. We loved it. Here is a picture of the little girls in Ellie's dress ups. They wore them around all day! Audrey, Clark, Ammon, Cade, and Grant were all cruising around too! Jessica took a picture of all of us, so hopefully I'll get a copy from her and post it as well. (We missed the Arizona Cohorts!!!)


4 comments:

blythe said...

Katie, sounds like you are doing great and have met lots of good people. You are much better at jumping in to a new place than I am. I need to be more social! Wish we were closer!

Saysha said...

Oh I am so jealous I couldn't be there for the shower!! Cute pic of the girls though...I'm glad you guys did that for her. Glad you're making friends around there too! Miss you guys...

Ashley said...

I am glad you are adjusting to your new place, i have had a hard time myself, but we are starting to meet people and make friends so that helps, our closest friends out here are named Ryan and Heather too, that is funny.

Heidi said...

I am glad you are making some new friends and also got to have some time with your old ones. I know what you mean about friends getting you through this time when we don't have family nearby!