I had the best weekend in California for my dear friend Michelle Rowan's wedding! She was married to Scott Sorensen in the Oakland Temple on Saturday and then had a beautiful reception at her backyard in Merced that night. I was so so happy that I was able to go. Scott and the girls had a daddy daughter weekend! I left friday afternoon for the 3 hour drive to St. Louis. Then I flew to Oakland with a layover in Dallas, so by the time I got there it was 11:30 pm. I was meeting Abby & Hillary there, but they had gone to the wedding dinner and Bachelorette party, and poor Alex was still driving in the car, so I had to take the bart to where we stayed in Walnut Creek. It was quite the journey and I was a little nervous about riding the bart alone so late at night, but it was a weekend so it was plenty crowded. I finally made it to the hotel at 1:00 am. We woke up early and went to the wedding at the temple. Michelle's grandpa sealed them, and it was such a great ceremony. We took pictures at the temple and it was the perfect day. Michelle's dress was the most beautiful thing ever! I can't believe I don't even have a picture with her. I didn't have my camera, and then the battery died later, so this is the only picture I have. Abbs, I need copies of yours!
Michelle's husband, Scott, had a huge group of friends there with their wives. He went to Highland, and a few of them married girls I went to high school with, so it was a small world to see them all there. Scott is also great friends with Mike Wheatley (the husband of my great friend and former roomie, Taryn, who unfortunately couldn't come) but Mike was there. Leash- Your cousin Dave Todd was there, of course. Scott Sorensen also knows V-Dawg (my brother Mike) from High school (lets be honest... who doesn't know him?) so that was another fun connection.
After the temple MAHAK went and had lunch (minus Michelle obviously). We also went with Michelle's cute friend Kylie. It was so great to catch up and be with the girls. MAHAK goes back to BYU folk dance where we all were roomates during SPAC. We have been best friends ever since! It is a totally cheesy Jr. High thing to do to have a name like MAHAK (Michelle, Abby, Hillary, Alex, Katie) but somehow it stuck, and that is what we've been. Then we all started getting married and it has undergone many revisions... the latest being PHABSMAKS... I guess we'll just add another S for the second Scott now!) So silly, but fun! Anyway, these girls are like sisters to me. We are the kind of friends that can get together after months of not seeing each other, and have it be completely normal. I know we'll always stay close, and I'm so grateful for that. It was wonderful to have some girl time (including little Miles and Austin, of course). We are all spread out in Missouri, Texas, Utah, Santa Barbara, and San Francisco. Since 2003, when Scott and I got married, one of MAHAK has gotten married every summer since. Abby & Peter in 2004, Hillary & Spencer in 2005, Alex & Ben in 2006, and Michelle & Scott in 2007. Now we'll have to find another excuse to get together every year.
The reception that night was amazing. Truly one of the most perfect/classy/gorgeous weddings I've ever seen. Very magazine worthy! Michelle and her mom did such a great job. The night was filled with pictures, a buffet, and dancing. Everything went great. I will post more pictues from Abby... hopefully one with the bride in it!
I left sunday morning and it took all day to get home after some flight delays etc., but I made it! It was wonderful. I missed my hubby and my girls like crazy. I'd never even been apart from the girls for more than a few hours. They did great with Dad though. He is a champ. I don't know how many guys would let their wives leave them with their babies during school. I came home to everything in perfect condition... :) My husband is a saint. It was so liberating and rejuvenating to have some time "off" for even a couple of days. I highly recommend it, and am grateful it worked out. Thanks to my hubby Scott for being so incredible and to Michelle for letting me be part of everything!




9 comments:
congrats to Michelle, that is so exciting! How fun to get together with girlfriends, especially without the kids! A purely hassle free weekend. Good for Scott!
Katie you look so cute! I am glad you could go for a fun time with your old friends. I don't know Michelle very well but Scott and I grew up on the same street and I have pictures of him at my five year old birthday party (I think it was at Chuck E Cheese- hilarious!). How wonderful he found a great girl to marry!
Yeah for that post! I like that picture. I hope Michelle can get a print of all of us together. It was so nice chatting with you all the way to Merced. You are such a wonderful mommy. I want to be like you! Well, I told Ben I wanted to have a big 30th birthday party- but that is not for 5 more years. So we have to think of something to get us together before then... Women's Conference? BYU adult ballroom dance camp? I am trying to convince Ben that we should go... Anyways, tell Scott we all admire him and that he is an example to husbands everywhere!
Darling pictures. How fun that you got a little getaway.
how fun. im sure it was a nice little getaway. you look great!
I'm so glad you had fun katie! You look beautiful!
You do look so cute! I love your hair. Congrats to Michelle, I can't wait for you to post more pics. Sounds like you had a great weekend!
I was so sad to leave you guys after the wedding- I posted some CUTE pics for you to see, I have more if you want. Thanks for getting that "gift" together for michelle and scott- I know it'll be used! You are so thoughtful and were so nice to help out with Austin even though you were having a weeekend off. I love you!
What a blast to get together with your friends. That is great of Scott....I'll have to tell Jefe all about it:)
Post a Comment