Sunday, June 29, 2008

Middle Names

We have decided to give our girls middle names. That may seem strange since they are almost two years old, but here is the story. When they were born we went back and forth a lot with the idea of giving them middle names. We eventually just couldn't really come up with two that fit for them, so we opted for no middle names. A few months ago I got thinking about it again and for some reason felt strongly that I wanted my girls to have a family name to carry on. Family is one of the most important things to me and I think there is something so special about having the name of one of your forbears. It gives you a special connection with that person and it gives you someone to look to as an example and a reminder of where you came from. I love both of our girls names and think that they have definitely grown into them just perfectly. I wanted to name Madelyn "Maddie Sue" after her grandma. Then it hit me that Bella should be named after my aunt- my mom's only sister, Joan. As I thought about these two names I really felt a type of spiritual confirmation that they should have them. I wrote the girls a letter that they'll someday read that explains why these two sisters are the perfect namesakes for them. My mom (Sue) and her sister (Joan) are two of the greatest women I know. They are both generous, loving, service oriented, enduring, and most of all they have a great relationship with each other. I want all of these same things for my girls. I could go on and on about these two wonderful women. I hope that my girls will have opportunities to learn from them and get to know them well. I love you both!
We officially changed the girls' names on their birth certificates, so we now have a Maddie Sue and a Bella Joan. They know those are their names and they love to say them! They point to each other and say their full name and giggle and repeat them over and over. We feel so good about our decision to add these middle names. It just fits for our girls and we are so grateful for Grandma Sue and Aunt Joan.

Joan and Sue (age 9 and 4)

The girls with Aunt Joan and Grandma Sue in Utah.

The girls didn't want their pictures taken so we had to bribe them with Jelly beans- that is why they are making the funny faces!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

The Lunts said...

Katie thats the cutest thing ever! What great names, I couldnt agree more! Thoes pictures are so cute!

Heidi said...

That is a great heritage to pass on to your girls, especially as they are sisters named after sisters! My middle name is after my grandma and that is something really special to me. I am glad you added that!

Jo said...

I can't tell you how touched my mother was when she told me what you had decided to do. I just got emotional reading your post as I have always admired our mother's relationship and who they are. It makes me so jealous I don't have a sister but so glad I have your family to rely on :) You are so cute and I love you and your family to death! I tried to see you when you were here, but you weren't home everytime I called :(
Love you!

Margi said...

What a great post! That's cute, I don't think I realized that they didn't have middle names. In my family it's almost mandatory that you use family names. On my mom's side I think there are a hundred named Elizabeth, Annabelle and Lila. No one cares if they're first cousins, whatever. It's kind of funny at first, but there's definitely a big emphasis on where you came from. I love your names!