We had a "fun" few days this last week. It started out with the refrigerator AGAIN. When we moved into this house in July the fridge wasn't working. It is only a few years old, and luckily we have a home warranty company that covers a lot of repair costs. It took a couple weeks before we had a fridge by the time they ordered parts and got out here. We learned quickly that no fridge is quite a pain! We thought it was taken care of but then a couple months later the same problem started again. We went through the whole buisness of losing all the food and being without a fridge and all that again and finally had it fixed by a guy who was sure it was taken care of! 3 weeks later, we were back to square one. By this time it was getting really old to keep rebuying all the condiments and salad dresssings and all that stuff that you don't realize is in your fridge every month. Well, the day before we were leaving for Christmas vacation it started making the dreaded noise. We knew there was nothing we could do about it at that point, and expected for Scott to come home to a broken fridge so we cleared out all the food once again. When Scott came back from Utah it was of course broken, so yet another repair man came to "fix" it. We hoped that it was the final time or that our home warranty would just replace the darn thing for us. Well on tuesday it began AGAIN. It is absurd that it has broken this many times- we've only lived here since july! Well so luckily this time right when the noise started happening we called and got someone here before the food went bad. We're learning after this happening six times in 7 months. I had to wait around all wednesday, but finally someone came and I am PRAYING that this time it is fixed for good! Okay, that was way more detailed than any of you cared about, but it is just such a frustrating process!
So thursday rolled around and to our dismay our roof started leaking in a few different places. We have these major icicles outside the house and as they were melting the water was coming in the kitchen and our little office area. After some wet floors, ruined paint, and a door molding that is falling off, I waited around again for yet another repair man. We were informed that to fix the problem we'd have to put some waterproof something on the bottom 6 feet of our roof under the slate and then put all the slate back on. Pricey! Besides that, nothing can be done until some of the snow and ice melts anyway. We're keeping out the buckets for a while! We have loved our house and are so grateful for it, but wow our eyes have been opened to the "joys" of an old house, and the fact that we aren't renting so we actually have to take care of the problems ourselves! We are grateful though, that we have a good warm place to be, and that for the most part it has been wonderful for us. It is so spacious and fun to decorate your own place. We got Maddie and Bella twin size beds this week with new bedspreads and everything. It turned out so cute and makes me realize that they are so big! They love them. We also have been getting the nursery all set up and it makes me excited to have Nathan!
Friday I went to my friend Cathy's to teach the Achievement Day girls some line and square dancing. Cathy has a little girl Maddie and Bella's age so I brought them along to play. The activity was fun and went great. I had that calling in Kirksville and loved it! The girls are so fun. Anyway, the activity ended at 5:3o so I was packing the girls up to head home. I buckled them both in the car and threw the keys on the front seat like I always do, so I don't lose them. This turned out to be a bad habit because somehow I must have hit the lock button and I couldn't open the door. I've never locked my keys in the car before, let alone locked my kids in the car with the keys in artic temperatures! I was grateful that I wasn't too far from home and ran in to use the phone to tell Scott to bring over the spare keys. I was grateful that he was already home! Well, after calling him about 500 times over and over he wasn't answering the phone. The girls were screaming in the car and couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting in and why I wouldn't open their door. I kept trying to yell into them that I was locked out and was trying to get help. They couldn't reach up to unlock the door since they were buckled in. Finally we called a neighbor in our ward who ran over to the house to try and find Scott. He had been out shoveling and hadn't heard the phone. Unfortunately the spare keys were no where to be found. By this point I was feeling like the absolute worst mother in the world and getting so worried that the girls were getting frostbite in there. It was dark and freezing and they were really worked up! Finally we just called the police and they said someone would come over soon. Well it was probably only 15 minutes later, but it felt like an eternity when the officer finally arrived. He got out his little tool to break in the car, and it wouldn't work. He kept trying and trying and finally said he'd have to call a different officer who had a more up to date tool. I was praying so hard to PLEASE just let the door open so I could rescue Maddie and Bella. Thankfully after a few more minutes it did. By this time, it had nearly been an hour and I was so relieved to get them home! They were alive, weren't actually frozen, and I'm sure aren't permantely scarred from the experience. I felt so bad though that we hurried home, bundled up in mom and dad's bed and watched Strawberry Shortcake and ate Pizza. Luckily kids are forgiving! Needless to say that a new spare key is of high priority on my to do list!
A few days this week and weekend Scott has been working the 4 pm to 2 am shift on his pediatric ER rotation. It is nice to have him around in the day, but I prefer him home at night when I'm tired and ready for some help with the girls! We did have a fun outing saturday morning though to the Natural History museum. The girls enjoyed all the "stuffed" animals and the planetarium. Maddie was so excited to see the big dinosaur bones before we got there and kept talking about how she wanted to give him "Hugs and Kisses." When we actually saw the big dinosaur though, she wouldn't go near it and started crying everytime we tried! It was a fun little place though and it is great to have some good spots to visit during the cold months!
A little more good news for our interesting week is that the SUN was out today and it was 40 Degrees outside! I never thought I'd be so thrilled for 40 degrees but it hasn't been near that temperature forever and it is so refreshing!! I hope it lasts a few more days!
Sunday, February 01, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



12 comments:
Katie...so we've had to get a new refrigerator and also have had a leaking roof...oh to be a homeowner. I feel your pain :( So sorry the girls got locked in your car..what a week!
Wow what a crazy week! It seems like all the bad things in life always happen at the same time! It was 36 today and it felt like Spring we were not to sure what to do with such warm weather!
What a scary experience with the girls! I can't imagine how frantic you must have been. I'm glad it all turned out okay. I hear you about the weather today. I felt like putting on my sandals, but then I looked at the two feet of slush outside and decided against it! :)
Katie, I hope it's ok that I checked out your blog. I found it from Mary Clark's. I'm sorry about your fridge! I'd think insurance would just get you a new one at this point. Our roof is leaking, too. When we got home from Church Sunday I kept hearing a dripping sound and I saw a ton of water sitting on one of our chairs. Our landlord can't do anything until spring, so we just have to hope the roof is ok until then. Good luck with yours!
that is a crazy story about locking the girls in the car, I bet you were so panicked. Well I am glad everything worked out ok.
When are you actuallydue?
I worry about locking my keys in the car every single day! It is a constant fear of mine! So glad everything worked out okay.
Aaaaaa Katie! You have been busy lately! I am so sorry about the roof and the fridge...and the scary experience of locking the kids in the car!!! Miss you guys like crazy...
Wow you guys really have had an interesting week, so sorry about all the frustrations, not fun! Hope the pregnancy is going well. I can't wait to see pictures of the new rooms! Fun fun!
OH MY GOODNESS! What a time! That is all I can say! Look at you all positive....40 degree weather! I love you!!!!!
Oh my goodness, Katie! You are such a good sport, and always look on the bright side. I love that about you!
We miss you guys tons!
I can only imagine your panic with the girls sitting in the car!! It sounds like something I would do because I also load the kids and throw my keys on the front seat..... maybe I better rethink that!
Post a Comment